Below is a collection of essays and articles written by social science and humanities scholars about one of the most widely found materials on earth: concrete. This list has been compiled with the assistance of countless colleagues and peers at conferences and workshops over the last few years. I hope it will be useful for scholars of urban political ecology, materiality, and STS.
THE SOCIAL SCIENCE OF CEMENT & CONCRETE
- Abourahme, N. (2014). Assembling and Spilling-Over: Towards an ‘Ethnography of Cement’ in a Palestinian Refugee Camp. International Journal of Urban and Regional Planning. DOI:10.1111/1468-2427.12155
- Harvey, P. (2019). Lithic Vitality: Human Entanglement with Nonorganic Matter, In Harvey, P., Krohn-Hansen, C. & Nustad, K. G. (Eds.) Anthropos and the Material. Durham: Duke University Press.
- Allen, F. (2015). Introduction: Concrete, Parallax, 21:3, 237-240, DOI:10.1080/13534645.2015.1058889
- Ben Zeeve, N. (2019). Building to Survive: The Politics of Cement in Mandate Palestine. Jerusalem Quarterly: Autumn 2019.
- Bhanu. (1995). Liberalisation and Performance of Cement Industry. Economic and Political Weekly,30(34), M111-M116. Retrieved September 1, 2020, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/4403130
- Archambault, J.S. (2018), ‘One beer, one block’: concrete aspiration and the stuff of transformation in a Mozambican suburb. J R Anthropol Inst, 24: 692-708. doi:10.1111/1467-9655.12912
Archambault, J. S. (2020). Concrete violence, indifference and future-making in Mozambique. Critique of Anthropology, 0308275X20941573. https://doi.org/10.1177/0308275X20941573
- Cameron, J. (2009) ‘Development is a bag of cement’: the infrapolitics of participatory budgeting in the Andes, Development in Practice, 19:6, 692-701, DOI: 10.1080/09614520903026835
- Eli Elinoff (2017) Concrete and corruption, City, 21:5, 587-596, DOI: 10.1080/13604813.2017.1374778
- Figal, Gerald. 2019. “Life with Tetrapods: The Nature of Concrete in Okinawa.” Cross-Currents: East Asian History and Culture Review (e-journal) 30: 150–170. https://crosscurrents.berkeley.edu/e-journal/issue-30/figal.
- Forty, A. (2012) Concrete and culture: a material history. Reaktion Books, London
- Harkness, Cristián Simonetti & Judith Winter (2015) Liquid Rock: Gathering, Flattening, Curing, Parallax, 21:3, 309-326, DOI: 10.1080/13534645.2015.1058885
- Harvey, P., Knox, H. 2010. Abstraction, Materiality and the ‘Science of the Concrete’ in Engineering Practice. In Bennett, T. and Joyce, P. (eds.) Material Powers: Cultural Studies, History and the Material Turn. Routledge.
- Harvey, P. 2010. Cementing Relations: The Materiality of Roads and Public Spaces in Provincial Peru. Social Analysis: The International Journal of Anthropology.
- McDuie-Ra, Duncan; Mona Chettri, Concreting the frontier: Modernity and its entanglements in Sikkim, India, Political Geography, Volume 76, 2020, 102089, ISSN 0962-6298, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polgeo.2019.102089.
- McDuie-ra. 2018. Concrete and Culture in Northeast India. http://raiot.in/concrete-and-culture-in-northeast-india/
- Nitzan-Shiftan, A. 2009. On Concrete and Stone: Shifts and Conflicts in Israeli Architecture. Traditional Dwellings and Settlements Review. Volume XXI: Number I.
- Rubaii, K. 2016. Concrete and Livability in Occupied Palestine. AES Engagements Blog Series in Settler Colonialism. https://aesengagement.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/concrete-and-livability-in-occupied-palestine/
- Simonetti, C. 2017. Limestone. In Harkness, R. (eds.). Knowing from the inside: An unfinished compendium of materials. University of Aberdeen.
- Simonetti, C., Ingold, T. (2018). Ice and Concrete: Solid Fluids of Environmental Change. Journal of Contemporary Archaeology. 5.1 (2018) 19–31.
- Stolz, Rosalie (2019) Making Aspirations Concrete? ʻGood Houses’ and Mockery in Upland Laos, Ethnos, DOI: 10.1080/00141844.2019.1696864
- Tappin, S. (2002). The Early Use of Reinforced Concrete in India. Construction History, 18, 79-98. Retrieved September 1, 2020, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/41613846
- Zeiderman, Austin (2019) Concrete peace: building security through infrastructure in Colombia. Anthropological Quarterly. ISSN 0003-5491
- Forte, Giuseppina. “Concrete Embeds: Assembling Modern Modernity in the Periphery of Mexico City.” Book chapter, in Mexico City: Materiality, Performance, and Power. Crysler, Greig and Maria Comerio Carranco (eds.), Metropolitan Autonomous University Press (forthcoming, 2020)